Thursday 18 January 2018

Choosing a Logo

The logo was another element of our production house planning that I felt was absolutely crucial to the success of our group. We wanted our logo to communicate our theme, whilst being simple enough to use in a variety of places (not take away from art on covers, for example), and still be memorable.

Once we decided on our name, we chose to repeat our 'a week to throw out as many ideas as possible' idea. These were my contributions:

This (right) was the idea I spent the most time on. I came up with the concept during a group discussion of merging imagery of birds and comic books. While I did really like this, I think it lacked the cuteness we were looking for in our logo and came across more academic than artistic.

Below, shows my more typographical ideas. I chose to experiment with these, as I personally tend to be more minimalist in my approach to design tasks. Again, though, I felt these designs were a little to bold and harsh, and didn't have the fun element we were looking for.

Once our brainstorming week was complete, we each picked our two favourite designs of the week, and these were compiled into a poll to see which was most popular in the group. I chose Katy's 'heart wing' design (A), and Alex's 'bird kiss' design (E). I felt they were both clear, whilst still being very cute!


Katy's design (A) came out of the poll as the clear favourite, but due to it being just a basic sketch we all agreed it would need some revisions and additions. Meg and I then set to adding typography and messing around with the style of the art. These experiments can be seen below, and eventually led to Meg arranging the typography in a way we all loved (top left of the below screenshot).

With a couple of revisions and the addition of the extra hearts to help the balance of the logo, we came to this:

We started another poll to check if everyone was happy, or if they wanted to keep fiddling around to see what we could find, and everyone unanimously voted to keep it as it was.

After this, I sent the logo to a friend to get an opinion from someone who was in our target market and had no preconceptions of the group. Not only did he have a positive response to the logo, but he also suggested an idea for each of us to make it our own by changing the colour of the heart. I made some mock ups of these to check the group's opinions and they agreed it was a nice idea to give each member individuality, whilst still appearing as a strong collective.











No comments:

Post a Comment