Wednesday 31 January 2018

Character Design Process: Milton

The last few days, I have been designing my 'narrator' character. I wanted this character to be as simple and shape-based as possible. This way it wouldn't take away from the 'relatable' aspect of my book (if I had a person, readers who didn't look/act like that person might not relate). No one relates to a blob, so - in theory - none of my potential readers should be made to feel that the book isn't for them due to the character design.

I scribbled a few random shapes, then built them up into design sketches. I then posted these sketches on the Comic Nest page for feedback from my target audience.

Below, you can see my final design sheet for my character: Milton! I chose this name for the same reason as choosing to make him a shape - Milton is rare enough of a name to not be all that relatable to one group of people specific. It's also memorable! There are some notes on the page of why I decided on some design aspects.

Personality wise, I felt it was important to make Milton as 'cliche student' as possible, really exaggerate some student stereotypes. So, I have him being very dazed, dorky and confused -looking. This informed his design, particularly in his facial features. His eyes are very empty, and lined and darkened, and he's got a quirky wonky tooth.


No comments:

Post a Comment